Thursday, June 28, 2018

Suan

To say that I am heartbroken doesn't touch how I am feeling.  I knew it would be different from when we lost our parents.  The sadness, the loss; but I could never have imagined how different this is.

My grief for Susan's passing has so many levels I don't even know where to start trying to process it.  She was taken too early, she had so many things left to do, to see and to feel and selfishly, I had so many things left to tell her.

My heart hurts so much for her.  Susan had more children to teach, bridges to go over with Miles and time to share with family and friends.

Warm summer evenings on her deck, watching the water and sipping her wine with a book on her lap.  She loved her wine and she loved her books.  Susan loved life.

I have always known that life isn't fair and it isn't easy.  No one said it would be.  But this.  I am shattered to my core and have no idea how to survive this.  I know I will.  There really isn't a choice is there?

My niece and nephews, their wives and Miles.  How do I help them when there is nothing anyone can say to ease their pain?  They lost their mother too early.  They stood by her side every step of the way and felt helpless as they watched her deal with every test, every bit of bad news and every stumbling block that hit her.  For every step she took there were five to take back.

Her cancer was relentless but she never gave up; not until the end I guess.

I feel guilty for grieving so much; like I'm being selfish.  So many people have been touched by this and I feel at times like it's only me.  I know that's not true, but I have times when I feel so alone with this pain.

Can't seem to get a handle on this grief.  I get hit with massive waves of sadness the likes I have never felt.

People die every day of all ages and means.  These people also had hopes and dreams and plans.

But this is my sister, this is our families sorrow.

All Susan wanted after she beat this cancer was a little cottage by the sea, her bicycle and her family and friends.  To teach till she was old and gray, to love her students like no one I have ever known and show them all she knew.

I am so angry this was taken from her.  I'm so sad she won't have these things, that her children won't have her anymore, that Miles will never be with her again.  That I've lost a sister, a mentor, and a friend who listened to me not eight months ago crying over my wows all the while she battled this cancer.

Mostly, I am grieving that my sister didn't get to live the life she so wanted and so richly deserved.




2 comments: